January 18, 2011

Nov 16 - Thanksgiving by Elder Burdette Thomas

I would like to thank the many people that have pulled me aside and have given encouraging words to me for the devotions that I have written. It does my heart good to know that there are people out there reading and being blessed by them. These people are not afraid to let me know how much they enjoy them. The devotion on baptism was a big hit with everyone. This was the one most people talk about. Please pray for me that I will also know and do the will of God. 1 I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. 2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. 3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. 4 Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul Psalms 116:1-4 (KJV)
    O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever. Psalms 118:1 (KJV)
    We have so much to be thankful for in the day in which we live. God has been so good to us. He has given his only son to die on the cross of Calvary to pay our sin debt. We need to be thankful that we live in a country that is free. We are free to worship God in the way he wants us too. We should be thankful for churches in our land. People need to be thankful for true men of God that have been called by God to preach his word. Men that will stand and preach the gospel and the Holy Spirit prick our hearts and God save our souls for Jesus sake.
    I have never seen a time when people feel like they don’t have anything to be thankful for. If you were able to rise up out of bed this morning then you have something to be thankful for. If you say preacher I was not able to get out of bed this morning so I don’t have that to be thankful for. Well just let me tell you this that you are still breathing this side of eternity so this is something to thank God for. People feel like they are in such bad shape today. Every time I felt like that I was in bad shape all I had to do was look around and soon I would see that there are people in worse shape then I am.
    We need to love the Lord because he heard our cry. We need to love him because he helped us when we could not help ourselves. We are living in a land of plenty. We have more today than I feel that any people have had in the time before us. We have more food in the day in which we live than any other in time. We throw out more today than some countries have to eat. God has richly blessed us here in America . So yes may I say we do have a lot to be thankful for. There have been many times that no doubt we have set down to eat a meal and when we finished we make a statement you know it would have been good if we would have had some of this to go along with the meal. We are entering the month of November when we celebrate Thanksgiving. So when you sit down this year to eat your Thanksgiving dinner please remember who has made it possible for you to enjoy what you have. We have food on our tables and shoes on our feet. We have a roof over our heads and cloths on our backs. Yes I believe we have a lot to be thankful for. If you don’t think you have anything to be thankful for close your eyes and picture yourself in New Orleans under a bridge holding a card board sign saying I need food. Then open your eyes and look at the table spread before you.
Yours in Christ
Elder Burdette Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment